Did you know food scraps account for 10% to 20% of the average household’s waste? These scraps not only create sanitation problems, they clog up your kitchen sink line! That’s why John W. Hammes invented the garbage disposal system in 1927, to grind food into a more manageable size. Hammes named his company Insinkerator, and Morgan Miller Plumbing continues to use American-based Insinkerator products today.
A garbage disposal is convenient, but prone to abuse. To maintain your disposal and prevent odor, follow these quick steps:
- Every 60 days, grind a cup full of ice cubes with a couple of orange or lemon rinds in the disposer for about 60 seconds. The ice cubes will help keep your blades sharp, and also helps remove food debris along the side of your disposer. The orange and lemon rinds will bring a fresh scent to your sink drain.
- While the disposer is still running, pour a small amount of liquid dish detergent into it.
- Rinse any remaining debris away by running cold water for about 30 seconds. Use cold water instead of hot to solidify grease and oils, making them easier to chop up and drain completely through your plumbing system.
- Turn disposer off.
Garbage Disposal Troubleshooting
In the event your disposer ceases to work, you can check the reset button. The garbage disposal has an overload protector that senses if the motor is overheating and shuts itself off. If your disposer cuts off during operation, it may be this broken electrical connection. The best thing to do is:
- Turn the disposer switch off.
- Do not put hands or objects down drain.
- Make sure the appliance is plugged in securely at the outlet.
- With power switch turned off, press the reset switch on front or bottom of the garbage disposer. The reset switch will typically be a small square button.
- Restart disposer by turning on power switch.
If your garbage disposal continues to malfunction, call Kansas City’s premier provider of residential and commercial plumbing services, Morgan Miller Plumbing. We can efficiently diagnose, repair, or replace your garbage disposal system using brands you can trust.